Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rice - How much?

I am thrilled to focus on Rice. White rice is a main food source for over half of the world’s population. Rice is an excellent addition to home food storage because of it’s versatility, high caloric value, and long shelf life. Once you have purchased your rice, this blog will give you useful information on storage and most importantly many different recipes for using it.
Let's start the first day with how much rice you will need for your storage.
The LDS website has a food storage calculator. It suggests that each person store 300lbs of Grains per year (wheat, rice, corn, pasta, oats, and other grains). This makes up the bulk of your storage.
1 can of Rice is 5.7 lbs

If you were only to buy rice as your source of grains you would need 9 cases of rice per person for 1 year.
BUT
Who are we kidding....we can't eat rice 3 times every day for a year! I am not trying to put down those that do, but I know we are all used to variety so 9 cases of rice may not be variety enough for you.

So Let's start with 3 cases per person for one year.
Now let's do the math...
3 cases per person = $72
x' this by how many people are in your family.
rice can be really cheap!!

Make your goal today on how much and how often you will purchase rice.

I am taking orders for this month and will pick up cases for you. The cases are labelled as rice and have dates on them so you know when they expire. The cans are so beautiful! The labels have nutritional value and cooking directions. They are great for putting into your pantry. I already have a bunch available for purchase right now. Please call me or email me if you would like some.


GET GOING!! GET PREPARED!! HAVE FUN!!

1 comment:

  1. Please put me down for 3 cases...I only had enough for me!! Can I pick up this weekend?
    Gail

    ReplyDelete