Monday, December 7, 2009

Dry Mixes

A couple of years ago I faced a dilema. I had canned a years worth of rice and had it neatly stored in my basement. So what's the dilema? My family hated eating it! Oh sure they loved "Rice-a-Roni" and good old Uncle Ben had mastered the art of flavored rice mixes that you just add water to and poof this delicious garlic roasted chicken rice would appear. How could I compete with that? Then to add insult to injury, my husband brought home Uncle Ben's 2 minute flavored rice. If you haven't heard of them, let me tell you now...they're pretty good! And in just 2 minutes? Well I didn't even want to compete! They soon became a staple purchase on every shopping trip.
Now in the back of my mind this little voice said "Val, why are you buying this stuff when you have all this long grain white rice in your storage?" I would quickly shut it up by telling myself that it would always be there. Surely I would make some here and there, with a stir fry and the occasional meal. I knew that over the next 30 years I would probably use it up.
Then that voice said things like "Do you really think if the rice can sit cooked on a shelf for a year, it is good for you? Maybe there are some preservatives and junk in there? Wouldn't you rather give your family a healthier choice?"
To which I replied..."FINE!"
So I went to Chapters the next day (a couple of years ago) and searched for a book all about rice.
And you know what? They didn't have ANY!!
They had hundreds of specialty cook books....probably thousands and guess what? Not one on rice!
To this day, anytime I visit a bookstore or a place that sells cook books I always take a peek and to my disappointment....nothing! I've even searched on line and NOTHING!!
Don't you think this is CRAZY??????
COME ON! This is a staple food for most of the people in the world!!!! How many countries live off this stuff and no cook book??
As a side note... now that I've shared this with all you talented and resourceful people....please PLEASE let me know if you ever find one. It's become a small obsession!
Sure there are sprinklings of rice recipes in many books....but I'm talking a whole book dedicated to this delicious staple!!!
Now having said all this......I have found a website that has listed a way of making "Rice Mixes"
A rice mix is where you mix dry rice with a bunch of spices and store in your pantry for when you need it. I got really excited....went out and bought all the missing spices I needed and then made 4 different recipes that looked good to me. Then the first night I made one for dinner...I anxiously waited for my families responses......and just as I suspected from my earlier taste tests they hated it. Oh well.....3 more recipes to go. I tried 2 more the next day....hoping that if one was gross they would like the other. Nope....Uncle Ben doesn't like competition and has some sneaky ingredients, that have made my family loyal....Darn you Uncle Ben.
Well it was time to call in the troops! This was a battle I wasn't ready to give up! I invited Carla over and made her the same mixes. I knew the idea of mixes was good but they had to taste good too. If anyone could do it....Carla was the only one I could think of. She tried them too and with just a few suggestions.....Ta Daaaaaa! They tasted great!!!!

Ha Ha it was a mini victory for me!! What a great day it was!! I could finally start using this rice, no longer was the excuse that Uncle Ben's was easier. Auntie Carla is the new chef in town and I like her!
So here is the first of many "rice mix recipes" you will recieve in the next couple of days.
Enjoy!!!

Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix

Ingredients:
3 cups long grain white rice
1/2 cup wild rice
2 TBSP dried parsley flakes
6 TBSP Chicken Soup Base (from In Case Of) A must have!!!
4 tsp. Mrs Dash seasoning
2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. tarragon leaves (optional)
1 tsp. salt
Preparation:
Mix ingredients and store in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place. This makes 4 side dish.

To Make
1 cup of mix
3 cups water

Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add Rice Mix, cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rice obsession! Do you take suggestions? I was wondering if you would have a soup month? Same idea as the rice? Way to take a base and create something yummy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Auntie Carla....I love it!!! Can't wait till we come up with more. And how about doing that "Rice Cook book" ourselves???? I am serious about it!!! Even a cookbook solely based on using "food storage items". Would be a great book to add to any cookbook collection.

    Love ya!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete