Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Getting Started with Water Storage

Here we go!!!! For the month of November we are going to focus on WATER. Why? Because we can't live without it. Really....

WATER = LIFE

How much water should you have?

Provident Living Suggests "Store drinking water for circumstances in which the water supply may be polluted or disrupted"

So what does that mean??? 1 days worth, 1 weeks worth, 1 years worth??

The average person will need approximately 4 litres a day. 4 litres a day per person will cover drinking, food preperation, cleaning and personal hygeine.

My family has 4 people so that equals 365 days x 4 people x 4 litre/day = 5840 litres. This seems like a lot and I don't really know if I will need water for 365 days???

SO HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION FOR THE DAY....

TO STORE??? OR NOT TO STORE???

Might I suggest.........STORE!! Here are your 2 options

OPTION 1 - STORE WATER
OPTION 2 - STORE ITEMS TO HELP YOU PURIFY WATER FROM ANOTHER SOURCE

Either way your answer is STORE SOMETHING!

Some people have told me that they will just get water from the river if they need it. I like that idea exept for the carrying part. Water isn't light you know! I mean I hope times don't change where I am lugging jugs of water on my head for 3 hours just to cook dinner?? No disrespect for those that do! Also, is the river safe to drink out of? Well I've done some research and NO it's not. You will need to treat it first. Even for washing things!

I like being prepared so I have included a few options for my personal use...hopefully these ideas may assist you in deciding what's right for you.

First of all I have stored good clean tap water... Nothing beats this!! It is safe and already treated!



I have a large 1000 litre tanker in my basement. This tanker has a water spout on it as well as a large spout for emptying. As long as I keep it away from heat and sun the water will be good for 1 year. I will just empty and refill. If I buy an item called Aerobic Oxygen and add it to the water it will last up to 5 years.



This seems really easy and convenient. The only consideration is the cost.....$400. If you can afford it....what are you waiting for??? If not save up!! or consider some of my other options!
-Water cooler jugs full of water. If you have a water cooler it's even handier because then you have an automatic dispenser. $5 - $15 for approx 20 litres

Plastic water storage containers usually for camping $5-$10 for approx 10 litres







Also, don't forget to throw in some water bottles. These are handy for drinking out of or for dispensing from larger containers. They can go anywhere.

If your budget is tight...collect 2 litre pop bottles. Once washed out these handy and free little guys do just as well as any of the above.

The beehive bookstore sells the tankers and can be reached at...
Calgary Beehive Books
6624 Centre Street (Straight east of Chinook Mall)Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phone: 403-249-8124
Fax: 403-240-0422
Web Site: http://www.ldsbookscanada.com/
Option 2 - find a water source and treat it....
This one has lot's of exciting information so I will do a seperate blog for it....stay tuned!

Most of all.....water is so precious...think about which scenario fits you best and get going!!! GET PREPARED!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment